Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Not my birthday yet, but the Vibes are out there...


I keep getting good wishes and that, and the winning Lotto ticket, will make my day. I did tell one of my bosses that if I won the Lotto I would buy the servers and the CD's that the library budget won't buy us.

In the library I continued to try and catch up with the ILLs and all the other things I am to do, being reminded of the almost exhausted swimmer in choppy seas - that salt water is cold and just doesn't taste good when you swallow it and work to keep one's head above the water... I did take an interruption - actually I took a bunch of interruptions all day, only I can work some miracles. The one I was happiest with was with a Russian inmate - don't know how he fell, but he is in the library looking for help and wants me to find the document that he needs. We have a discussion about manners, expectations, Russian customs, Asian Customs - American lack of manners, customs and get your own... he was convinced I was very knowledgeable about human relations and such and must have had a great education. But I told him the truth, spent most or my adult life preparing to fight the Russians --- one of those fights I was always glad that preparation was 99% of the events of the Cold War. I was not in a hurry to fight Russians on their turf, I read and study History. I did find the document he needed and printed the whole thing out for him, our conversation had started with his using a word Americans would only write and never use in conversation - he is very well educated. But I noticed that the Russians are predicting that America is going to collapse by 2012, seems that they think our country is doing many of the foolish things the Soviet Union did before it fell apart. They do say that recovering drug addicts and alcoholics can spot the problems in others with the disease around them.

I don't really need Russians to tell me about America, I am watching it from inside, and I am doing my part to correct the foolishness. New books came in today, I will be taking

Who Killed the Constitution?: The Fate of American Liberty from World War I to George W. Bush

home to read on Thursday (we will have all the new books processed by then), on Friday I am covering the Western State Hospital Library, while my supervisor opens at McNeil Island. Two movies to see this weekend (my birthday present!). Defiance and Gran Torino - if you have to ask why I want to see B+ movies then you haven't been paying attention. I never was an A+ kind of guy... take care out there and go gently.

No comments: