Sunday, January 4, 2009

When the rest of the world gets strange, go shooting...

This day is a bit different and I had the time to ride my motorcycle or go shooting or watch football. Too cold to ride, too early in the playoffs to watch football, so I went shooting. I will have to admit that there was snow on the ground, it was cold, but I don't normally move quickly while shooting so the wind chill wasn't.

I started on this target, at twenty-five yards (75 ft.) the kind of target I shot at in Junior High Rifle Club, in the gymnasium. My Stevens is a low wall block, single shot, with a GI sling, if you looked at the picture it is like the center rifle with the sights from the bottom rifle. It is a fine rifle with a minor extractor problem, and no more windage remaining in the rear sight -- one day I will have to get that fixed. (Don't you just know that windage would be a word that Microsoft and Blogger don't understand nor spell correctly?). The first seven rounds were for finding the zero, my sling tension and practice the six steps of the shot. Then after checking the target (walking through the snow) settling down to firing one shot per circle, top left across, down across, down across and bottom left across. I was in rhythm by the last five and called the two drops and missed one in the second shot, wasn't in pattern to call it. In other words, sloppy, and I hang my head in shame - it was easier in the gym on the mat with the shooting jacket and the coach. I wasn't a coffee drinker then either. That is enough in the excuse department.

Then I changed target, going to the 100 yd (reduced for 25 Meter Qualification) - standing with hasty sling, ten rounds and fired a 42 of 50. Changed targets and fired the 200 yd (reduced for 25 Meter Qualification) and fired from the sitting position, 46 of 50. Major struggle, getting into the position finding the Natural Point of Aim, and reloading (it was single shot and broke the shoulder free for each reload), and the pulse surging against gravity (forgot to loosen my belt and lose thirty pounds of stuffing in this turkey). But I was pleased and one good practice with only thirty seven bullets mean I have thirteen to use in warmer weather.

Hope your shooting is going well, this is the New Year and practice (dry fire and live) will make me improve one day. And before I forget, thank you very much for carrying and caring.