Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's already Saturday, my library is closed...


Back on McNeil Island, they probably didn't miss me for those three days. I was wandering the end of the Precision Firing Clinic yesterday and asked some questions about Optics - I know nothing and willing to seek counsel, I was given a handout and a quick class on rails, rings and scopes, doesn't seem to be a book on the subject that my teacher could recommend, but I know someone in Library research that might find a gem or two. Really nice professional, and very helpful men putting on the clinic. I picked up a grey long sleeve tee shirt with embroidered logo - and I don't do trademark and logo stuff but somedays being cool is almost as important as a nice warm long sleeve shirt to keep the Sun off.

In the fashion department I found out that I am not the first shooter to think bib overalls are the shooter's meow, and coveralls work well for rolling around in the dirt on prone positions - this isn't a bowling league these are serious shooters and working at their craft. They love work clothes. I spend some more time talking to Ebby's master, and playing with Ebby. This fine dog is going to get me thinking about adopting one, and that is a good thought that fits my procrastination pile well. Love playing with good dogs. As I jogged gently through Orofino this morning I thought my hearing was going, at six-thirty the Sun was up, but not one barking dog during that hour's jog --- either they are still inside sleeping with their families or there is a rule that dog barking can't happen until after nine on Saturday and after ten on Sunday. I did hear some morning birds so it wasn't my hearing, but the whole town was pretty quiet except for the slap of my shoes on the sidewalk.

I did go looking for motorcycles Friday, and an Australian working in Seattle area, showed up on his Suzuki motorcycle, two extra fuel tanks and no rifle, but there are rules about foreign nationals with rifles in our country. Nice guy has to do I-5 commute for work and he goes HOV lane. A couple on a Ural with sidecar are here, the sidekick in the sidecar asked why the brakes in the sidecar don't work as she stomps on them when she needs to slow down. The rider is a writer and is here to write an article for a Motorcycling magazine - they brought two rifles, cameras and high interest - this is for me like a two-for, both motorcycles and rifles. I even know they have three children - how do I find all this out? Must have been listening to their end of the conversation. I could become a participating human if I keep it up.

When they concluded the day with the High Intensity Shoot I decided that it was time for me to go find a place to hide, out of the Sun and wind, Friday had been a long day - you should see the tables and rifle mounts and the long range shooting and spotting and the bangs and the booms. I drove down the long windy road, munching on apples. Until you get on the County roads the farm roads seem to be gravel and very dusty - it all collects on my back door and window. I made it back to the motel, took a hot shower and woke for real about twelve hours later - I must have been Sun poisoned, vampire librarians can't handle that much heat.

Well, I felt fine when I woke, made the coffee, put on the jogging clothes and went out on the town, one of the nicest ways I find to see the local area. I jogged here and then there about forty-five minutes into the jog I found the Orofino Cemetery and I stopped to visit those that made my world so well. Looking for Veterans mostly, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam. It is true, they do have sailors in Idaho, one served in both World Wars and lived into the 1980s. One of the Vietnam Vets became a Deacon, there is hope for us all. I ran on back and shaved showered and packed out to drop off my key. I went to breakfast with the Priest River girl's slow pitch softball team (I was in the same building - no I didn't talk to any of them). I had a constantly refilled cup of hot coffee to wrap my always cold hands around (cold hands warm heart). For breakfast I got two eggs over easy with two biscuits and gravy and I promptly attacked the eggs and biscuits chopping and mixing and swirling it all around in the gravy until it was a rich feast of fuel for the day. Another great day to be me.

I park and enter the library and find they have my name in the computer, I am officially an out of state visiting patron. So support your local library, one never knows what famous or infamous blogger may drop in for information, this is a great country.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Travel safe going home Earl! Sounds like a fun trip in more ways than one!