Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Closed down and moving out...

I wrapped up a short week at the library, the crew did well, and what needed out is gone, what came in was receive and processed, the circulation was great on Monday, hanging back because of a Fire Alarm on Tuesday, and a too short hour on today. My Liaison checked in and looked around the library to see if we were still getting ready for the big inspections coming for accreditation. She thought we looked good, I think we will look better - I may be harder on myself and crew than some. My supervisors, the Gang of Three, are off plotting discomfort and readjustments in our, the Library Keepers, lives and work. Tomorrow we join them in Federal Way at the Palisades Retreat.

So for two, or three days for those from Western Washington institutional libraries, our services are cut off to our special populations. I will watch eagles swoop by, and humming birds dance, and take notes to be ready for work on Monday. Really it will be interesting, the other Keepers are better at social graces than I, are hard workers, and some of them have a great sense of humor - if we didn't laugh we would cry - something said to me long ago and far away, but it stuck. I packed up some work and ideas to share, and I will share, gently - I don't need to make waves, they will know I am around even if I don't grate and irritate. I am riding my motorcycle, the weather man promised no real rain today, and the forty plus degree temperature isn't a problem, it is near sixty-something by the time I take my last ferry ride of the week, low tide was 12:30 pm today, deeply it drew.

On my way home I stopped at the Triumph Dealer, to pick up my foot pegs. Seems I am dropping the bike too much and have to replace parts as they break. Which would make me an almost mechanic - but I am not - I treat putting things together to work like those wooden puzzles and IQ tests. I bought the Military approved reflective ugly orange vest by ICON, for riding on the Air Force Base and Fort Lewis. At home I had a great dinner, said good-bye to my wife going to church and I started working on cleaning, greasing chain and replacing broken parts and looking deeply at a new headlight rim, since it was one of the injured from the last great wreck. By the time my wife returned I had the motorcycle ready for the morrow's mission, she would start to work on fish and I would iron the shirts and close up domestically. Time for the hot shower - I washed my grease stained hands and arms three times this evening, do I really need a shower? Cyberspace isn't sharing smells yet, is it? Good night!

1 comment:

Yoda of Math said...

Hint about social events. Use traditionally good manners, and you will do fine. In this day and age the person with good manners stands out in a very positive way since so many no longer mind their "p's and q's".