Friday, June 6, 2008

No it isn't a National Holiday, but it is important...


6 June 1944, after a twenty-four hour weather delay the invasion of France is on, from the air, from the sea, far from the hearts of the women that loved them - thousands of American, British and Canadians would assault the wall that Rommel built, and he was off to buy some fine shoes for his wife, funny how life works out. Lots, and more than lots of men would leave their lives in the sea, in the trees and on the ground they fell upon, you can still visit the cemetery and look upon the markers, there were so many acts of true heroism performed that day - most unreported, that the Allied Force won a hold on the beach, up on the cliffs and into the interior - then slowed down to catch their breath and reorganize, rearm and wonder 'why me Lord?' It would take Patton to break free of inertia, but he didn't pay attention to physics just martial courage. Still, this is the day, D-Day, and in Europe they understand its importance more than we ever will. But we should Never Forget, so remind everyone what day it is - I don't need Congress to make it a holiday, I just remember it.

3 comments:

Yoda of Math said...

I found that the History Channel had D-Day programs, so when I could I left it on in my classroom and learned more than my history teachers ever told me. For example, the British brought "landing tanks" that worked well at one beach but not at another (the tanks sunk in the rough waves there). On days of memories, I am so glad that I get the History Channel.

Old NFO said...

Thanks for posting Earl! Too many don't remember or don't care in the current generations...

Buckaroo Banzai said...

It SHOULD be a National Holiday in my opinion.