Friday, December 5, 2008

Just sit there long enough and it will pass by...

There is a bench somewhere in New York City, where if you sit on it long enough the World will pass you by. Or that is just New Yorker's urban myth. But yesterday I was at the Institutional Library Services Quarterly Conference with the Gang of 3 (Managerial Supervisors) and the library keepers of all the different branches of the Washington State Library in service to those patrons in the institutions. And the State Librarian was there to brief us on the larger library world, the truth about budgets in State government and her hopes for the future, and of course, our future. I will have a post about that later, but she did something surprising, she called me up and presented me with my Ten Year Service Certificate and pin, the certificate signed by our Secretary of State, Sam Reed, a fine man - personal hero and protector of the Washington State Library - having saved us from the evil Governor Locke that hated us and wanted to save dollars instead of minds.

That will be a bit much, may have to edit that later because Governor Locke wasn't evil, just didn't wield an ax well, and this is timber country - and ax wielding should be right up there with other Scandinavian skills. Back to me.

Ten years ago, hired full time, to function in an institutional library, working with a librarian and another assistant librarian (working on associate status), with four inmate library clerks. Ten years later I am a Library Archival Paraprofessional level 5, working with four inmate library clerks - and one of the original clerks is still in the institution driving a fork lift in the compound. Now I was exiled, by budget, to the State Library for a couple of years, but eight years have been riding the ferry to work and home, five days a week and taking care of library business, and if my Scanner weren't sitting broken beside this computer I would have included the certificate. I am amazed that I haven't won the Lotto and gone off to golfing (which I am not going to ever do) or some other retired pursuit, but very satisfied that I do the job where I seem to be the most needed, and except for Earl slips in compliance and policy paying attention - I am very in line with the objective mission of the Organization.


Mission Statement -- With spirit and fortitude, ILS branch staff enhances the quality of life for unique populations by providing a welcoming, neutral and secure place where informational, educational and recreational needs are met.

2 comments:

threecollie said...

Congratulations, Earl, that is really nice!

Old NFO said...

Congrats on your contributions! That's your atta boy, now back to work :-)