Sunday, February 8, 2009

Scout Sunday here, and where you are, too...


So I get up early to attend the Men's Breakfast at the church, where we have invited the Scouts and their leaders. It is nice to make breakfast in the company of men and talk over coffee - about politics, foolishness and life in general. The scouts arrive and we eat and talk - I wonder where the Bobcat rank went in the Cub Scouts - some kind of Tiger Cub replaced it? I was a Cub Scout, and helped my son's den when he went through the Cub Scouts in Korea.

The best part of my morning was knowing that I am still charming the ladies. Rod told me that his grand-daughter has a special wish for her birthday. I bit and asked what that was. Grace, the charming five year old, wants a helmet so she can ride with me on my motorcycle. The long legged redheads are safe for a few more years - I have a whole new group of ladies to charm, and you don't have a motorcycle yet? Well, you have been warned, guard your daughters well.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

You'll be charming them for a long while Earl! Redheads are nice too though :-)

Jeffro said...

You wascawwy wabbit!

David M said...

I had the same reaction when my oldes son joined scouting a few years ago...what happened to Bobcat? Now it is the beginning "rank" for all cub scouts, so no matter at what age they join, they have to earn their Bobcat rank first. And just what is the Bobcat rank, it is simply learning the core prinicipals of scouting: The Motto, The Promise, The Sign, The Handshake, The Law of The Pack, and what WEBELOS means.

As a Cubmaster it makes it easy to get every new join an almost immediate recognition and badge for their uniform. Which I think was the intent of adding Tigers and "removing" Bobcat as an actual rank.