Monday, April 20, 2009

So you did remember 19 April, 1775, yesterday?


The day the people of Massachusetts got very serious about restoring their rights to govern themselves, very serious. You can Google it, and the Wikipedia covers it a bit, but don't go to most American High Schools for any detail, go to your libraries and know they wrote books differently in the 18th and 19th Century about which we continue to write about in the 21st Century. It must have been important and my question is where would you have been on that day?

Today is the Boston Marathon, and since I am on the West Coast and three hours back from the East except on Mainstream Media (tape delay with Live printed on it), it should be starting soon. It was once on the same day as the celebration of Patriot's Day, the 19th, but the race got more important than the day and so was placed for coverage, advantage and tourist bucks. More people KNOW about the Boston Marathon than the 19th of April, 1775, but that is how the world works. It is still one of my un-run marathons, but I would be so far back that the support crews would be sweeping the chutes up and packing the timing machines by the time I got in. It would be more interesting to walk from Charleston, to Lexington, to Concord, the North Bridge, and back to Meriam's Corner, to Parker's Revenge, through Lexington (again!) to Charleston and safety, but following those poor British flankers tracks would wear me out, but it could be done in a couple days well. Seems the military is always cursed with LONG interesting days.

I find returning home after time spent on the ranges with shooting stuff doesn't cure me of my addiction to finding out how the normal people of the world are behaving. Looking for email about my far-flung family relations and relations that are only friendly is justified but most other things, can wait for my devotions, exercises, sweating, cleaning up and going to work. It is Monday and the Library calls. My second PC is spinning and chirping at me, and I thought it was using electricity for power - it couldn't be wind up, could it?

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sad but true Earl- A race is more important than history IN THE SAME TOWN!!! arghhhh... Of course the response is history doesn't put money into the system...