Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving has to do with the simple joys...


It may fly right by, with the excitement of travel, family, football and feasting - the Army put on a great spread on Thanksgiving Day, now they send everyone home on a four and a half day fast furious drive across the country.. or where they are locked in service far away, or locally on post across America, they still put on a great dinner. Enjoy it, it isn't Thanksgiving on the Yalu in 1950, so many uninvited Chinese guests. Once upon a time, 19th Century, when we were still sure that government couldn't establish religions there were only two holidays off for soldiers - one was Thanksgiving and the other was their birthday. The rest of the time they were caring for horses, guns, barracks and kit.

Ah, that is all behind me, dusty stuff up in my mind's memory. I will get to see Macy's Parade, Football, and sweep the light dusting of snow off the drive and sidewalk that arrived in the darker early morning. I have a roof over my head, my ex-girl friend is close (she is cooking my goose - turkey being too big), the power is on in this area, the furnace has been kicking out heat. I have way too much to be thankful for, may all my cancers be small and removable, may all my motorcycling be with the wheels down and only my heart flying, may all my shooting be on paper and not while being shot back at, and may I do better at giving and accepting hugs. Amen

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Concur Earl, and I too remember those meals in the mess hall! Literally soup to nuts and one of the two times a year they did it right! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!