Thursday, November 5, 2009

Just looking at the morning news.... rain... here?


Oh, yeah, the weather for November may be a bit late but it is coming in today, the National Weather map has washed us out with floods and rain. So I drive the Caravan, and walk to the dock directly. As I walk I find a doe about fifteen feet from me, looking at me like I am crazy - she is in the middle of a condo apartment complex and she thinks I am crazy. Well, I do start talking to her, she doesn't know I have my hunting license, but she is kind of stringy, not much on the thighs at all - must be on one of those strange American model diets. But, like real females in my life, as soon as I start talking she turns her head away and starts strutting off to find a finer male... I really ought to take time off and go hunt - the barber in Steilacoom had his shop closed up for deer one weekend and elk another. Well, the walk was good, the work fine. The rains and the wind started beating on Washington and about 11:00 AM the announcement was made that the Still Harbor schedule was in effect.

Still Harbor is on the North side of McNeil Island, a nice harbor, and the seals love it. So because of the fear of getting stuck on an island with terrible weather -- a lot of people left. After lunch the announcements of what was closed, classes canceled, and there was only the State Library (ME!) open for business. Two very packed periods, but the last one was light, but until Recall I was there. The weather did let up a bit, and the ferry came back to normal operations by the time I was leaving, still for only a minute or the afternoon I was still there helping the inmates prepare for re-entry to the community.

I did notify the entire State Library that if they were coming to visit me that the ferry schedule was changed and I attached a copy of it. But no one ever comes, I am always reminded of that famous short story about an outpost, watching the frontier for the enemy, and because the commanders don't come out to visit, inspect nor reward the guards --- the guards feel more friendly to the constantly advancing enemy that at least know he is alive... it will be Veteran's Day soon, don't forget all those that you have sent out to those frontiers to watch and war on our enemies.

No comments: