Monday, September 5, 2011

Labour Day! non-International workers divided...



This holiday has always made me wonder, but it was a political choice - to honor American workers and their potential political power, by giving all retailers another chance to offer more than it is worth to people with no time card to punch for the day. Still, it does make another unofficial four day weekend for the military that aren't deployed, on duty or training this weekend. I wonder if they will ever start to have a non-tax payer or non-worker day to honor all those under- or unemployed? No, they haven't changed the meaning of honor enough yet - but they are working on it.

I laughed last night, I have always laughed at my wife's adjustment to my being out of the house and gone somewhere. She will be sleeping on the floor in front of the television, with flash lights, whistle and some short club-type piece of wood (an Asian version of something to press clothes with). But last night I realized that the house makes strange noises in the dark, could be someone trying to break in, could be. I wasn't too worried, there were five pistols on the kitchen island for cleaning, although my first thought was to where the nearest knife was (no, not kitchen knives - but they would have worked). If the house goes totally silent, the power must be off and then natural sounds from the outside will creep (or come slamming) in with one.

On the idle amusement side of life alone, is the thought that I could drop the dining room table (we only use it for feasts for two or guests, we don't do many guests) and move the piano and make a music room. In the I am a smarter husband than that (see, I really do think she will return on 1 October) is the sure knowledge I don't do major permanent furniture shoving without my wife's guidance and admonishments not to do it myself 'she will help'. Key to a longer married to the same person life, that and find the one that can't live without you (and reverse).

In the virtual toy box of computer games for FREE, I have found something I had to have so I bought it. I am turning off the computer more, like the television they are not improving the current Earl, the house isn't getting its share of my attention, the motorcycle and the guns and the jog are on delay or just fading memories if I don't shut amusements down. It won't help the economy, but I might wear out a set or two of jogging shoes, buy more bullets (National Ammo Day is on the Way!) or at least fuel for the Trusty Triumph --- if I don't squander my time (quickly running away) and my mind (long gone) on making virtual toy makers richer by my lack of discipline. I guess hating to have some commercial interruption in my life is a great thing to protect me from being sucked into an only digital representation of life... Well, bye for now - seems I have to collect some rents, visit my allies for political and staffing fees, fight some mythical monsters - or I could have breakfast and go jog. Don't we have so much to be thankful for? Yes, we do.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Have a good Labor Day Earl, and enjoy the fruits of your many years of labor...