Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Once upon a time...


I was an important man, and people listened to me and I figured I could lead men into combat, I was a First Sergeant in the 82nd Airborne. I learned some truths there - dummy cords attaching rifles to load bearing equipment save lots of rifles from watery graves in large Panama lakes, compasses on wrists prevent circling around lost in jungles, and I was most known for the only NCO that could get the paratroopers to quit cutting across the grass making paths. That I could count on my men to stick with me when I was wrong, that big hulking paratroopers could be felled by a tiny stinging wasp in seconds and needed immediate injections. That wearing snowshoes makes pulling sleds easier over snow. I didn't know how to forgive the paratrooper that refused to jump when I was Jumpmaster and that when I left the firing battery I would be replaced - maybe not the same as I had been, but replaced. Truths to base the remainder of my life upon.

UPDATE! Seems the 'be replaced' seemed to touch people, and I was dwelling on my truths, so from recent email about that time and persons:

Hello Sergeant Major Dungey,

Not to sure if you will remember me, but I served under you when you were the First Sergeant of C 1/319th. I was in the FIST platoon. You probably recieve these types of emails often, however I thought it was important for you to know what an impact you, and your leadership, had on me. For the past twenty-odd years I have used the leadership skills I learned from you in my teaching career (I became a teacher after I left the Army). I am currently taking classes from Seattle Pacific University in their Principal Certification Program and it is amazing how many times I reference you, as opposed to the text book, on how an individual should lead.

So...although you were my First Sergeant for only a few short years...its impact has lasted a lifetime. Warmest Regards,

I have always been of the opinion that Paratroopers have it easier in combat because they have already met fear and tamed it, don't ask them for much on maitenance programs but courage abounds. No, I don't get lots of this kind of mail often, but am always glad to know that former paratroopers are doing well, and remember 'once upon a time'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are still an important man.

You touch lives every day whether you realize it or see the fruits of it immediately or not.

The experiences and qualities that made you an "important man" when you were a leader of men are the same experiences and qualities that make you an important man today.

You are the same man. And no less important to God's plan today than ever.

geekWithA.45 said...

Damnit, sailorCurt stole my line, and my thunder.

Or perhaps the thunder is now twice as loud, and the lightning twice as bright.

breda said...

ask those who love you - you'll find that you're very important.

Earl said...

I really must improve my writing skills, but I am touched that you spoke to my need. Thank you very much.