Monday, September 8, 2008

Just a muse or two....

The Neo-Neocon has a post that I found interesting, seeing that McCain is an almost failure for graduating near the bottom of his class at the Naval Academy - doesn't the Left know that getting into a service academy puts you in the elite? Oh, they do think that only losers serve in their country's military don't they? They jumped on "go to jail or go into the Service" for a certain son - remember the previous sentence only losers go into the military service of their country, and remember why they stay - because they can't get a job on the outside. Or so they say, I remember watching a basketball game and talking with a guy that was going to go work for something like the CIA since the war was over, I decided to stay in the Army and get ready for the next one - it was 1973. Just couldn't stand the unemployment lines on the outside, I guess, but then I wasn't of the Left. Of course the idea that the military forces that serve the country might just be a very important unique elite never is understood by those sipping Latte and talking about the latest in doctorate degrees and cites. I do not think much about stereo-typing, Rednecks, Country bumpkins, or Ridgerunners and many of the other common folk the best families seem to come from, so I shouldn't be so hard on the Left. In Asia, the cultures believe that manners, sympathy and empathy are critical to being a Human Being, and anything less is just an animal aping a real person.

I was looking at some words on the internet, you should recognize them:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Political tags -- such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth -- are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.

My mother told me to always give credit where due, and she might not know that Robert A. Heinlein wrote both those quotes. I said it on a comment on another blog: The Lady with the Rifle and the Dead Caribou didn't do it to impress me, but it does.

I would have settled for Obama and hunting and cleaning ducks, but I guess he doesn't do that.

1 comment:

Yoda of Math said...

I decided this year that my watchphrase would be "Always use good manners in this classroom." It is working so far. Like you, I get so tired of ill-mannered people no matter what the circumstances. We need to start a new revolution: good manners are important!