Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Almost November and Washington Winter...

Have been a lot of dry days, but the Sun is slinking off to the South and taking the migrating birds with it. I leave in the darkness and return just before the Sun sinks in the Southwest, somewhere over Hawaii. As it has gotten colder the temptation to drive to work in the Caravan looms, but then I would have to scrape the frost off of the windshield and driving doesn't make me smile and I have troubling zooming around corners in a lean with the engine winding up higher. It just doesn't work in the front wheel drive - four wheels on the ground lumbering beast.

Still, the temptation is there, I didn't put my motorcycle boots on this morning, I thought I was late by ten minutes of the normal starting time, and I was - but I can wheel the motorcycle out of the garage, start it, pack my lunch in the back pack and grab helmet, kiss the wife good-bye and hit the garage door switch (don't ask why I don't carry a remote with me - I am traveling light). Before I had checked for frost on the van's windshield I was on the motorcycle and rolling down the driveway to another adventure. A few days back the fog was thick enough to cut and stack off to the side, the condensation on the face mask didn't help visibility either, crack that face shield and get some cold air on it and me. It is cold, leather jacket, good gauntlets, scarf and maybe ski mask - if the road is dry I am going on the motorcycle. Days in the gray fog are the ones where I wish I had that brighter or darker color for the bike, but that passes.

As I ride I feel the road and remember the first tentative times turning at some corners, I am glad that they have finished the short stretch has been sitting grooved waiting on the finishing asphalt layer, I don't like grooves in my direction of travel - constant riding on edges - and grooves perpendicular are just little bothering bumps-s-s-ss... But enough dry days and the promise of an election mean the road crew puts down that solid smooth surface to lean deep into and power on and around upon... Nicely done, thank you all very much, another place to play. I have been riding aggressively, only slowing down for future stop lights when I have to, if I see it red it should be green by the time I get there - I do look that far ahead. If I have to slow then I really slow, scoring extra points for not having to full stop and place a foot on the ground (only I keep score, but I watch the other riders - many count the same points for the same slow).

I pull into the parking lot, find my space and shut down until later. I put a ball cap on and start the walk to the dock, so I am late, still I must stop and buy the three Lotto tickets (only fools, those with faith in more than themselves and the ones certain the government hates them but wants their money buying Lotto tickets - think I fit all three of those). Then I swing into the stride and get down to the dock, the canopy of maple and oaks have changed color and it is getting light enough to enjoy the sunrise on the leaves as I wade through them, rustling them dryly. Washington will be the Evergreen State, but the flaming reds, orange and burnt yellow and browns make a magic memory of the glory of Summer with the Sunshine and Blue skies, catch it before the real grim gray grips in gloomily.

No comments: