Thursday, November 19, 2009

Put up on the dusty shelf of yesteryear...


I went to the garage to hit the treadmill and Healthrider, forty and ten minutes respectively and respectfully. I noticed the trophies on top of the tool cabinet, my trophies, the bowling one is a real joke, the pistol ones were for being the best that day on that range against all comers... or so I would tell it. They, like me, now sit off to the side of the world, just gathering dust. They were good times with good people long ago and far away.

I have been nibbling at next year, getting to sixty-too old to do it much longer, and wondering what that will bring. I met the retired doctor, running in his shorts and rain jacket on a windy forty degree day, coming back from his CrossFitness workout, beat up and smiling. He is retired, has time for that fun stuff. My fun stuff this year has been shooting or going to Appleseeds for one thing or another, mostly to help others shoot better and improve my own shooting and life. Meeting a lot of great people on that journey, to include the famous Fred. I signed up for a one day shoot, just to go shoot my target twenty-two and my M1 Garand and enjoy the people and the day. I have to send out emails to start the preparations for the last Shoot Boss Castle Rock, Washington Appleseed, December 12 & 13, then Christmas and suddenly a New Year, when I will continue to gather dust upon the shelf of America. We haven't even dates for Castle Rock next year, nor Yakima, looks like Idaho has more planned now than Washington does, possibly because they are ranges at rifle clubs that have to lock in a schedule. I want to go to Montana for a Rifleman's Boot Camp with long distance shooting, I would like to visit Boomershoot in March, again, not ready to use optics but willing to help and listen to the talk and see the shooters and spot if one needs me. See, no solid plans except for seeing our grandson on his first birthday in Hawaii.

What do I know for sure? Well, smiles look good on everyone, they look beautiful on women with good hearts that smile all the way to their eyes, and Love really does make the World go round - but since that is a Theological discussion I will take it with me to think about.

The Appleseed on December 12th & 13th will be honoring the Constitution of the United States of America, the one every great citizen reads every year in complete amazement when considering what the Federal Government has been up to, okay, maybe you aren't amazed, but you do read it don't you? You have memorized the Preamble to the Constitution - you do know what a Preamble is? They once thought every child should not be left behind, and they all had to know it, you are probably too young. Well, nevermind, just don't put that Constitution and its amendments on a dusty shelf, use them or lose them - law, rights, government are just like your body in life, if you don't use it, you lose it. Smile, God loves you even if your government doesn't - your government doesn't have a heart.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Well said Earl- Teach them well!