Friday, November 20, 2009

Yep, it is Friday and I am outta here...

Worked well today, had demands on my time and better performance from my library clerks, who were processing new materials into the collection and shipping ILLs to the wrong addresses, customs forms for returning borrowed books to Canada (government doesn't really know how to expedite movement - just hinder it). Other demands were from my Program Manager and another Librarian - getting our processes in shape, now if I can only get time to read what I have filed away so well. That will be a challenge.

In the new books was one I borrowed, "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen, and I was into reading it hard and fast and then started to think about it. An EMP hits America and the culture falls into problems immediately - no pumps for moving water uphill and no cars that work unless they don't have electronic ignition and everything stops and what will we do now. And MARTIAL law is declared by some kind of authority figures. Now I did have to stop and get my breath, but when the writer talked about removing a clip from a pistol, I sighed.

In my grandfather's day, he put water into the kitchen for my grandmother (which embarrassed her since none of her friends had that much lazy), and I know that a one cylinder engine was used with belts to operate many things in his shed, making a pump to move water would have been easy. And if my grandfather could do it, how many lawn mowers are waiting for their chance to move up in the world. Oh, yours has computer circuits? not mine. A small diesel engine to produce electricity could be built by local mechanics - not everything needs a college education. And this whole idea that someone has to be in charge, and we will bow to the martial law thing - kind of stupid, town meetings and talking about the priorities and getting people moving to get stuff happening and sharing instead of hoarding and looting - most of America isn't sitting waiting on the next government handout, they build and work and adapt what they have and want to what they can. But then if you can't twitter one's life away, there is no reason for living any how. What would Oprah do?

Just for fun, what would you lose if a massive EMP hit America? No computers, calculators beyond abacus and sliderule (yes, I have both and know how to use them just need practice, ha, ha), no telephones, my cars are door stops, but the Trusty Triumph has no computer circuitry - an earlier model. No radios, but the piano is still working, the wooden flute, most of my tools aren't powered by electricity so I can still saw and drill and hammer. My cameras are gone, but the lighters still work. All the firearms and ammunition still work and there is a lifetime of old people's clothes in this house, with lots of extra blankets and combat boots. Need more traps for catching soup thickeners; mice rats and moles just aren't at the top of my list.

1 comment:

threecollie said...

Milking the cows would be horrible!