Friday, December 11, 2009

How do you tell if you are doing enough...



When the procrastination piles keep getting bigger, cause they love to give you what they couldn't handle? No, that can't be it. I just checked my last year's worth of high paying work with the Revolutionary War Veterans Association - twelve times I have gone to the ranges to teach, share and encourage rifle marksmanship and the story of April 19, 1775. That isn't too bad, especially since two of those times I got to settle down and shoot and learned something new, I am always learning something new, and meeting some of the nicest people.

I called into a Conference Call, to listen and discuss the current crisis in our Public Employment - like out of around one hundred people in the organization, twenty to twenty-five of them are going to lose their positions. There aren't any decisions with names on them yet, and I have my mortgage taken care of so I am really fine, and if the Mega Millions comes my way I will have to learn how to share it wisely, always learnin'. I feel sorry for those managers that have to try and keep the ship afloat in the mission they have, while cutting the throats and tossing the bodies overboard of the people that were helping them move forward. They aren't bad people but that is the ugly part of their job. Human Resources and State Law have laid out procedures that will be followed so everyone is treated with respect and fairly in opportunities to transfer and continued service. I know all the people that I have worked with in Institutional Library Services, everyone of them is a much better person than I, all of them are doing a great job, and we do still have two vacancies to fill - so you know it isn't one of those great jobs with tons of perks and fooling around. They all work alone in a prison library, with thugs - some of which are really trying to improve their life and need good library services - the ones that aren't trying to be better you could have for Chinese Body Parts, but I am never going to be smart enough to know when they could change. As they get older the elementary school attitude gets really old and they do like getting smarter and respected for hard work and dependability - but it does take some aging.

Speaking of responsibility, back to the Christmas cards and packing out for tomorrow's Appleseed. No matter what the weatherman in his studio heat with background pictures of Buffalo behind him says - I think the weather will be good as a reminder of those Continentals at Valley Forge learning how to drill, or those soldiers of America, trying to bring peace and security to Iraq and Afghanistan, there are those that will be unsung, no names in the books, but they stood up and went into battle leaning forward. I best not forget them while at the Mall... some tiny sins are heavier than the law of physics allow.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Concur on the mortgage Earl- Enjoy the shoot and yes, it WILL be similar to Valley Forge, but with much better fed troops!

K-Dubyah said...

Ohh, that grandson is one handsome little boy!

You hang tough on the job thing. Keep practicing and teaching the shooting and shooters. We might be needing you and them.