Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Good news, there is a plan for my replacement...


Yes, I know I am unique and can't really be replaced, but since I always thought my big effect on the library was opening the doors daily - I am glad to see there is someone coming to open the doors after my last day. The Last Days of Earl are now, yesterday I counted ten, today it is nine remaining. I haven't really counted down since the year in Vietnam, but I seem to be again.

I have been trying to send Fax reports on time, but I have trouble with one number at one building in the current time and space. When I asked if anyone else was having trouble with that number there were a few, most didn't, and everyone wanted to tell me that their fax was receiving. Logic told everyone where I was trying to reach that it must be Earl's problem, but go look at the machine and reset it - which they did and I still couldn't reach them, but I faxed otherwheres just to make my point - I exist and I was trying. Then I went home to stew about it and quiver in fear when I had more reports to fax on Monday. "Couldn't sleep at all last night!" going through my head.

Monday I show up, check my email, find it is my fault for sending reports to where they shouldn't go any longer, did start sending them again to the correct place, no joy. Same response, not only the Governor, the Deputy Secretary of State, the State Librarian and the Human Resourses gurus -- all think I am so off the A list, the Fax machine isn't accepting my calls either. Just to prove it was my fault I was told to fax other libraries, so I did and the mighty words, "If you receive this email LS" were printed in my fine block hand. Yes, they received them, and they emailed and still the Fax and all those fine folks above me are trying to work me into a frenzy. So, I backdoored the mission - adapt and overcome! I found someone on the inside that would work with me, truest weakness in all fortifications is the discontented, disloyal or very helpful person on the inside of the defense. I asked her to find me another Fax machine that didn't know me and my fax to call, and she did and I faxed and all six pages went through without a ripple, when the blade is pointed and the edges sharp it slides and glides through living material.

I may no longer be on the A list, and all, but I still have some ability to be dangerous in the world of my mind.

I rode the Trusty Triumph yesterday and watched the rains pour out all afternoon and evening, and damply rode home - yes, I was still smiling, it was only water and would dry away soon enough. At home I find leaving the minivan worked well for my wife, who had a magical problem (it disappears when confronted with the threat of male mechanics) and she used my ride to get to her work, the babies loved that but didn't even know. Her car worked for me and the husband that had been asked by his wife (my wife's friend) to look at it. Are we sure that machines still don't think? have a soul and feelings? What are those computer chips up to when we go off to sleep?

No comments: