Sunday, September 11, 2011

Still Learnin' ...

Thought while at church, over coffee after, that instead of a sign saying 'No Trespassing' or 'No Soliciting' it would be better to have a nice sign on the door saying "If you want to be SAVED, knock and it will be opened." A much more positive message than the other two, and will discourage some that you don't want to meet.

I did two church services today; the Tacoma First Baptist, English Language Ministry with Pastor Choi at 0920, and the United Methodist at 11:35 (went in at the Sermon). Both Pastor's have accent and language challenges (Korean and Samoan). One was preaching on the five loaves and two fishes and the other was preaching on Love and Forgiveness of your Enemies. Had coffee twice and I even went to lunch with my friend Hal. My wife was missed at her church, I had a few of her friends checking to see if I had contacted her and how she was. Said many hello's at the United Methodists, and was amazed at the growth in the children since the last time I had dropped in. They do it so fast, or old people are seeing in slow motion as well as everything else that has slowed down.

I rode off North on Pacific Avenue to have lunch with Hal at Crickets, leaving my right turn signal on the whole way, according to my friend who was driving directly behind me. I would have turned it on early anyway, a car that wanted to enter saw the turn signal and pulled quickly out in front of me, and I hit brakes and came to a sudden stop, laying the bike on the asphalt... No, I didn't lock it up, wasn't thrown, but once the wheels stop turning the bike gets ready to lean to the ground and one has to get feet placed. It all happened too fast. It is a hot day, but I was in my leather jacket, and had my helmet. My friend helped me get the bike up, and I rolled it out of the way. Lots of folks got out and asked if I was okay, we checked some stuff, fixed a bit the twist and scrape damage that stopped the clutch lever, the headlight (didn't I just get that replaced this year?) needs adjusting with the wind shield, and the left rear turn signal. But I could ride it home after we had lunch. I didn't hit the lady that had pulled out, she was out of her car and willing to help in many ways, the sudden of the stop wears off and you can really talk normally after about thirty minutes.

Now Hal was sure he didn't see my head hit the ground, and I was going less that twenty when I stopped, like zero. But there are scratches on the helmet and face shield on the left side and the leather jacket has a light brown patch where it protected a bit my lower arm/elbow - which has a bruise the same size. Will take a few aspirin and cool out at home. There are other little twinges to whine about but like I told the driver that pulled out in front of me, I didn't hit her, I am not really hurt and thanks for stopping and caring. Good accidents are the only one worth having.

2 comments:

threecollie said...

Glad for your helmet...take care...

Jeffro said...

It's not a matter of it, but when.

Glad you're ok and your safety attire functioned properly; the world needs Earl!