Friday, October 24, 2008

You know, it isn't the Economy that will kill me...


No, I will be fine, no matter who becomes President. What is going to kill me is the America that isn't at war. The America that thinks someone else is going to protect us, heal us and be our heroes. I have a story to tell in November, and it is about a time and a country when people took responsibility and acted. No, I went to the Sandbox and saw what Clara had written and remembered that I wasn't at war, I wasn't following, I wasn't leading and I wasn't doing more than wearing a magnetic We Support the Troops ribbon on my Caravan. You and I aren't paying attention to the cost, too comfortable, but listen. Not enough turmoil in your vision of harmony? Well, this is another way of looking all around you.

Tough talk about shooting last weekend, how hard it is without Internet connections at work, the cable guy that comes late and makes me miss work for a day. I am the absent American, too busy to make sure the right people get into government - elected and hired for that dream that became so selfish. How did I forget? Patriot Guard Riders are out honoring fallen Veterans, current service personnel and past ones. I have been too busy to ride? I am surrounded by serving soldiers and I should talk more with them - don't want them to end up as broken as a young sergeant I remember once was. Well, close the day with a prayer to help all those wounded fighting on out there - especially the ones that really care and need to share their burden and their pain. Good night and sleep well, for your brightest and best are off at their country's behest, and you have diss'd them too much, too often and too long.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Well said Earl! We really don't want those kids to go through what we did.