Friday, November 13, 2009

Just observing you understand...

I went to work and was called a new name and went out and earned it in the early rain, the work day was fine until I found out that my supervisor thinks I made a totally incorrect hiring against her wishes or command - I don't remember the command but she does so it must be so. I am so old, I need to look for another job this weekend and un-employment is over ten percent. Not to worry, I am almost ready for retirement or the grave.

I drove home quickly and cleaned up, put on a tie, armed myself mightly, and took my wife to her function for the care givers of Fort Lewis, and you know they are mostly women - yep. So I met the women she is most happy working with, the bosses she wanted me to meet and husbands and boy friends of same. Not as many men as women by any count, don't you know? I got to talk motorcycles, politics and old wars while we drank and ate snacking foods. Nice people my wife works with - then the DJ started playing dance music of one kind or another. Well, the women went out to dance and the men kept talking war, politics and motorcycles.

Now I am of the understanding that in the 1940 war years, if you could dance as a man with a lady and not look like a clod about it, you got to put your arm around her without having to fight her brothers or getting stomped by her father and uncles. Now, just observing mind you, if you could find the rhythm and the smoother moves just getting out on the dance floor and doing it would get you way too close to lots of lonely wildly moving women. Remembering always they not only don't dress for your appreciation (they dress for other women's approval) they also don't really dance for you either. But it doesn't matter, they still look just fine, if you dance with them that is your bonus but don't ever forget that your eyes always tell, not just in poker.

And my only real advice, never forget who you brought - and the why, and you don't dance for anyone else but her - she will hear about how lucky she is that you aren't afraid to get out there and whatever you were doing in public... you don't have to hear it, but she does. Oh, how quickly one forgets to be ancient and a relic.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

hehehe- good advice Earl :-)