Thursday, November 12, 2009

Well, I ran out of helpers today, so hired two more...

First inmate worker in the door wanted to talk to me without anyone around, so he did and told me that he had broken his glasses and couldn't see well enough to work, and something else that I can't share. But I thanked him for what he had done and told him to go back to his unit. He will be waiting six weeks for replacements, but might be leaving McNeil Island before then. Still I had four of six inmates on the call out for testing show up, three passed the test, two were very interested and had worked in other libraries and I received recommendations from their Library Keepers. The one that didn't pass the test was one I would have been willing to work with, but he will get a job somewhere soon enough. After the interviews were over I contacted the Job Center, and told her who I would like to hire, she called and said they would be on tomorrow's call out and she was putting the paperwork in my box to get started on terminating the inmate that can't see now. Then I went back to work with two, and one had to leave so I was left with one - and the library work doesn't stop. Did the Greeks have that problem in Alexandria in the Great Library - not enough workers, money, scrolls and books, not enough questing minds?

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Probably Earl... Of course it doesn't help to have a "transient" population to work with either...