Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Recommended reading...


I have just finished reading The Honour and The Shame : Bravery Has No Rules by John Kenneally VC, and he has gone on so there won't be a sequel, and since it is his autobiography and a true story it won't become a movie any time soon. First, this is the last book I check out from my library, my privileges expire on Friday, and I would have loved to have met this man back when, but then he is my father's generation. Well written. all the surprises are that he lived so long and so well with all his faults and a wonder that Britian doesn't still rule the world, but paying attention to the government demobilization and rationing long after the war's end I know that too much meddling was the problem and it has only increased. Off my soap box, the story is quick to read - for those that paid attention to WWII and know what Century it was central to... you should enjoy this refreshing tale from the point of view of someone that didn't think he was the most important person on the planet, but was doing the best he could when it counted. I didn't get to the pictures until after the end and was looking at a different man than I had imagined but when they are going to war, they all look so young, truly young. Hollywood makes you believe they are old, but seldom can they cast the soldiers with real actors, look at the extras - the paras in Saving Private Ryan were the correct age, all the squad with the mission were way too old. Old soldiers never die, they just write a story and fade away.

1 comment:

threecollie said...

Sounds like a good read. I will recommend it to my dad who I am sure will love it. Sorry to read of the end of your library privileges...what a loss! Funny you should write a book review today..I did too, just not at home so to speak. take care..