Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunday and the rain isn't enough...

Communion Sunday, the pastor speaks about supper and the original sin about eating forbidden fruit, he knew where he was going. After the service two cookies a cup of coffee and talking to my friend about one thing or another - he was looking at the stock market and the winner of the SuperBowl, something about 74% of the time it mattered. I have a motorcycle to ride and am not paying a lot of attention, but where to go? I could go visit my other friend, but it is SuperBowl and there might be a crowd there, or not there at all, and there are other places to ride my Trusty Triumph past the Harley-Davidson dealership, which I still do. Only serious travelers are riding bikes today, it does have the potential for soaking the unwary riders. Thick gray to almost black big bad clouds billowing across the sky, Mount Rainier is hiding. I take off to Ruston Way and cruise nicely, the sports bars will do very well today. One lone sailor on the water - about thirty-four footer with sails set and sailing, not a football fan? They are players not watchers, or they are picking the game up on satellite television? Sailors at play for sure. I am having a great ride and turn through the tunnel to Ruston and then make the right towards the home of one of the Corrections Officers that would spend some ferry ride time and visit me in the Library periodically. He talked about laying a lot of concrete every Summer and I could look at his place, he was cleaning his second story deck off when I rode up, he came down and invited me to park in the back and he would show me his place. He showed me the cottage he had built to live in while working on the house, his home and his antiques and the picture album of what they started with, a burned out home, to the beauty that they are living in now. The threshold of the cottage has the date 1983, so it has been a real journey - if he worked faster he could be a contractor, but he takes time and a lot of loving care and one home in a life time is plenty. A beautiful home, a real work of art - okay, craftsmanship (art is in the eye of the beholder).

No comments: